Backup / Restore of a Brocade SAN switch
Prior to making major changes on any production attached equipment it is always a wise to have a backup / restore option in the backhand. In this little article i’ll demostrate how you can easily archive that. Using the configupload / configdownload commands in the CLI of the Brocade.
First of all one important note. configupload is BACKUP as it is seen from the switch perspective it uploads the config to a source of your choice. scp, ftp, stfp etc.
In the example I provide in this article I assume, you have access to a working FTP server, along with a account.
- Using your prefered SSH/SFTP client, login to the brocade. personally i use MobaTerm.
- Once logged in to the SAN switch type:
3. Now you will be presented with a couple of options,default being FTP. Assuming that’s the protocol we want, just press ENTER.
Protocol (scp, ftp, sftp, local) [ftp]
4. Next enter IP address of the FTP server and press Enter
Server Name or IP Address [host]: 10.17.x.x
5. Provide username
User Name [user]: brocade
6. Give the backupfile a name, that tells what it is. I use hostname along with date.
Path/Filename [<home dir>/config.txt]: sansw-21082020.txt
7. Assuming we want everything backed up, press Enter when asked for section.
Section (all|chassis|switch [all]):
8. Now it will prompt for your password, notice you can’t see when you type, press Enter when done
8. Finally login to your FTP server and store the backup a safe location.
Here you can see, the full example
sansw:admin> configupload Protocol (scp, ftp, sftp, local) [ftp]: Server Name or IP Address [host]: 10.17.x.x User Name [user]: brocade Path/Filename [<home dir>/config.txt]: sansw-21082020 Section (all|chassis|switch [all]): Password: *****
Reverse to procedure to restore. Using configdownload instead.